To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: International customs
From: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 06:29:29 -0500 (EST)
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Group,

WHOA!  Hold the boat, folks!  We're not one jolly "world community" just
quite yet!  My Canadian wife-to-be and I can't bring her personal effects
into the US without a rather heavy duty on some articles.  This stuff
ain't for re-sale, it's things we're trying to combine into one household.

This past New Years, I went to Toronto for a visit and got blasted going
in for having my Leicas - I was taking/bringing them into Canada for a
quick, profitable trip, it was suspected.  Not true!  I won't know what
happens to my Leicas many years from now but I assure everyone---I'll be
dead before anyone owns them but ME!

And, of course, coming home, the US Customs had a field-day with me as I
surely must have had a field-day myself shopping for used Leicas in
Canada they "assumed".

Folks, get the pain-in-the-ass forms from US Customs that declare your
cameras for exit and re-entry into AmeriKa.  You can take a car-load of
Canon SureShots thru any border on Earth, but take one Leica and a couple
of lenses thru and.........2 1/2 hours early to the airport and almost
missed my flight "home".

Addressing this to non-US residents:  I'm sure your home countries have
such forms as well.  Everyone:  A little pain at the start or a lot of
pain later - take your choice!

Mr Fortunko, did I do this OK?

One must describe the articles and any serial numbers.  Of course, if you
don't come back with everything you left with......get prepared to stand
some real uncomfortable positions for a long time until you cough up some
money!

How does that song go?....."The land of the free and the home of the
brave?"  Folks, there ain't nothing FREE in the US!  Certainly not it's
citizens!

(Tune into "http://alt.felines" for stories about trying to bring her 2
cats from Canada into the US!!!  Someone can come into the US with AIDS but
can't bring in any pets with up-to-date vaccinations and certificates!)
:):):)

Regards,

Tom Hodge / thodge@charweb.org / North Carolina, USA