To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hand held shots at 1/2 sec.
From: tomrice@netcom.com (Tom R. Rice)
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:52:24 -0800 (PST)

> Are there any other such stories out there?
> <<

	After using an Argus C-3 for a couple of years, I bought
	my first Leica (used) in 1948 from a local photog who
	had bought it in Rio de Janeiro in 1933, the year of
	my birth!  It was a model II (D) with an Elmar 50mm
	f 3.5 lens.  In those days, the fastest film we had
	was Kodak's Super XX, ASA 100.  Since the camera was
	not flash-synced, I soon learned to shoot virtually
	everything using available light.  Speeds less than
	1 second were routine, many of them estimated, as
	the camera has 1/20 second as its slowest speed.

	So available-light shooting became a way of life,
	still practiced today, using the same II (D) and a
	IIIC with f 2 Summicron and a CL.  The only problem
	now is that I'm rather more shaky, due to age and
	arthritis!   But films are faster, so it all works out.

	That, and the adroit use of the technique of "hyperfocal
	distance" settings for action shots, probably were the
	most useful "Leica-specific" skills I ever learned.

--
"Start off every day with a smile and get it over with."  --W.C.Fields
Tom R. Rice