To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: M4-P shutter problem / advice needed
From: "Antony Soicher" <asoicher@aztec.co.za>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 1996 17:26:19 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <asoicher@aztec.co.za>

Hi

I was shooting with one of my M4-P's yesterday in fairly humid, rainy weather when my
shutter failed to close. I was using 1/15th of a sec shutter speed. I could
only reset the camera by setting the shutter speed to Bulb.
On further investigation after removing the film I found that all speeds from
1sec to 1/30th sec had the same problem while faster speeds were OK.

Later in the day when I was back indoors (less humid) I again tested the camera and found
no problem. The camera had had time to acclimatise to the indoor conditions.

A few years ago in cold and wet weather when shooting in New Mexico I had a
similar problem with another M4-P. I had the camera serviced and it's been
fine ever since.

What I'd like to know is :
Have any other M4-P (or any M series) users had a similar problem ?
What could be the cause of this ? Is humidity a possibility - how can this be
overcome ?
What are the practical weather extremes of using Leica rangefinder cameras and how do
these compare to other manual and electronic cameras ?
Am I overreacting when I feel that my expensive, well maintained equipment is not up to
(moderately) extreme conditions (unlike my Nikon F2 or F4 which have performed under similar conditions
without a single problem.) Or have I just had a bad run of luck ?

I guess the 'decisive moment' turning so quickly into one of disappointment
causes me to question the ruggedness of these cameras which I choose to use for
the majority of  my photography and would hate to set aside because I lose faith in them.

Regards

Antony Soicher
asoicher@aztec.co.za
Johannesburg, South Africa