To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: The Minolta connection
From: Nancy J Caputo <ncaputo@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 13:50:57 -0800 (PST)

>>Hard to tell a real difference between Leitz and Minolta
binoculars, for example, until you look at the price tag.  And the lower,
multi-levels of Minolta cameras before you hit the Leica level makes
complete marketing sense.
<<

Insofar as the camera body is concerned, Leica's AF-C1 is a real dog.
That body is by Minolta and never should have been let out of the Leica
doors. To their credit, Gasser's of SF exchanged the one I bought twice
but the third try convinced me that it's the camera design, not a
particular camera. Specifically, the autofocus works poorly, the doubling
system produces poor images at 80mm (low contrast), and I found the lever
which opens the lens door to be awkward to use.

I *have* managed to capture some reasonably good shots at 40mm but I have
far less confidence in this camera than with my Ms or Rollei 35s, which
always seem to deliver the goods.

Lou Caputo