To: Tom Hodge <thodge@charweb.org>
Subject: Leica Optical Glass
From: msmall@roanoke.infi.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 16:37:00 -0500
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

This entire thread has been most interesting to me.  I am most surprised to
find Hoya -- or any other Japanese company -- exporting optical glass, as
the internal supplies for such are most limited;  this is why the Japanese
optical industry has been at the forefront in the development of plastic lenses.

During World War II, the Japanese imported a substantial portion of their
glass from Schott:  it was shipped by submarine and, in at least one run, by
a surface blockade runner.

I'm not denying Hoya might export some glass to Leica, I'm just surprised,
as the Japanese still import a substantial quantity from Germany and, I
believe, have recently been trying to buy quality glass from Russia.

Marc
msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!