To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Summary (sort of): to UV filter or not
From: "Anand R. Mehta" <amehta@mcs.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 16:26:48 -0600

At 03:11 PM 2/8/96 -0500, you wrote:
>More air to glass surfaces means lower contrast and more flare -- no
>loss of resolution or sharpness though (with a good filter). Still, use
>one in the mist and take it off if you want when you can.

Having run some test rolls of Velvia using the 90 Elmarit-M with and
without a UV filter (Leica as well), there is indeed some contrast loss
that can be seen without a lupe.  I had hoped it wouldn't be enough to
influence my use of the filter, as I am somewhat paranoid about front
elements, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

BTW, the new lens is fantastic!  Definately consider it if you are
choosing between the Elmarit and Summicron.

Thanks for all of your advice,

-Anand
--
Anand R. Mehta