To: amehta@mcs.net, leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: to UV filter or not
From: Kalessin@eworld.com
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:32:39 -0800

I have the same habit: I use a UV or Skylight 1a/1b filter as a lens
protection in most of my shooting. I try to always use a top notch filter
with good multicoating and good glass. However, I find that in many cases I
can see better contrast/resolution with the filter off. If I can see it, it
must be real. ]'-)

So lately I've been eschewing the filter except when I need the color balance
control or B&W tonal control. In general, my negs have been looking a bit
snappier and cleaner, the prints nicer.

It takes a more careful approach to handling the camera, and I won't dispense
with them entirely as I also like misty mornings and other conditions where I
want the lens protection. It's a tool to be used as appropriate.

Godfrey

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net> (Re: to UV filter or not)