To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Hologon for Leica M/fisheyes for RF's?
From: Willem-Jan Markerink <w.j.markerink@a1.NL>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 03:31:42 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <wjmarkerink@a3.a1.nl>

On 19 Jan 96 at 18:21, joe b. wrote about "Re: Hologon for Leica
M/fisheyes fo":

> In message <9601190017.AB12136@a3>, Willem-Jan Markerink
> <w.j.markerink@a1.nl> writes
> >
> >Since a few years, I am hooked on IR photography, and my SLR
> >fisheye is one of my favorites....but this SLR limits me to dark
> >red filters, real IR filters (87 and darker) are difficult to
> >operate (rearfilters cq. too large front size). I would therefore
> >love to add an rangefinder fisheye to my collection....:-) Any
> >thoughts?
>
> I have the same interest in getting exotic wides to work on the M; I
> can use a 35 or 28 with an opaque IR filter and presumably a 21 as
> well as viewfinder frames or accessories exist for these lengths,
> but not for a fisheye. I understand that certain SLR lenses can be
> put on adapters and used on the M with scale focusing only. With a
> suitable viewfinder that could work I suppose.
>
> I just wonder if the 16mm/2.8 Russian fisheye (M42) that is
> advertised for around UKP 110 is a good prospect optically, and also
> wonder if it takes screw-in filters. If so it might be mounted on
> the M body with an adapter and the only problem remaining would be
> viewing. I'd  attempt to estimate the effect if I had an idea of the
> field of view covered. I can see myself ending up with a peephole
> door viewer mounted on my hotshoe...
>
> Joe B.

This goes a bit off-topic, but:
The fisheye I use *is* such a Russian one, although not M42 (anymore),
but converted to a fixed EOS-mount (ZIP....just my nomex suit).
Quality is very good btw, far better than I had hoped for. And yes,
it uses rear filters (clear, green and red are included), but with an
very akward threadsize, 26.5x0.5....not made by any filter
manufacturer....:-((

But I am curious about connecting M42 stuff to rangefinders....isn't
the film-to-flange distance of M42 way too large for that?

BTW, after sending my first message, I realized that for proper
composing on a RF you would need a fisheye viewer also (the best
fisheye shots require very precise composition)....and *if*
you have such a thing for a RF, there is little difference in using it on a
SLR with opaque IR filter....;-))
(who shot me in da foot there??....:-))

BTW2: I guess you know that there is a 20mm M39/rangefinder Russian
lens also around? Anyone experience with this one? (pfui....back on
topic....ZIP....:-))

Bye,

     _/  _/ illem    _/     _/ an    _/  _/  _/ arkerink
                     _/_/_/

<w.j.markerink@a1.nl>
Replied: 19 Jan 96 22:59

Replies: Reply from "joe b." <joe@azurite.demon.co.uk> (SLR lenses on M bodies etc)