To: Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
Subject: Re: Zeiss Hologon for Leica M
From: "Hubert Nowotny" <HUBERTN@ctr.co.at>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:27:25 +0100
Cc: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

> > Date:          Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:44:18 +0100
> > To:            leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> > From:          Edi Weitz <weitz@math.uni-hannover.de>
> > Subject:       Zeiss Hologon for Leica M

Edi,

Many thanks for this valuable information!

As far as I know this G1-Hologon is a reconstruction of the classical
one (this means nearly identical). The Hologon is a mythical lens; I
don't really know how much it is as used one, but the price may
easily go up to US$ 8 - 10 K or even more ... (It's wanted and
famous).

The only flaw of this historical document is it's lack of an
aperture. You can't stop down the hologon (there's simply no place
for the aperture inside; too much glass around ...). Therefore, it
was relatively easy to use the lens for b&w photography, but modern
color slide films won't be too happy with exposure modifivcations by
shutter speed only (the M6 has steps of 1 EV, no 1/2 steps
possible).

Just for Info; be aware of that ...

And, not to forget about that: _If_ you are devoted to
super-wide-angle photography, such an excellent lens as the Hologon
_makes_ sense, definitely ...

HTH & have a fine day
Hubert
* Von/From: HUBERT NOWOTNY, CTR Hatzenberger & Nowotny OEG
* A-1070 Wien/Vienna, Neubaugasse 76 (Austria, Europe ...)
* Tel ++43-1- 526 63 63 - 0, Fax ++43-1- 526 63 63 - 63
* hubertn@ctr.co.at, http://www.ctr.co.at/ctr/