To: Leica List <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: winders
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@gp.magick.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 1995 11:15:54 PST

** Reply to note from  <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu> 12/29/95  8:27pm -0500
> Can anyone enlighten me on the difference between an R4 winder and an R
> winder? Are the grips interchangeable? Is one inherently better than the
> other?

Both will work on all R models. The difference is that the R version is a
later version, and it's upgraded to be more rugged. And it has electronic
contacts for the new grip that attaches. I like the grip very much, makes the
camera very handholdable. The old grip won't work on the R. The R7 also
requires a new grip, because it's taller than other R models, and the body
blocks the old grips, both kinds, from fitting. They are both equally quiet,
and worth owning. The same applies for the Motor R and R4 drives. Except a
heck of a lot heavier (10 batteries as opposed to 6) and faster.

Regards,

Eric Welch
Grants Pass, OR