To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Noctilux Resolution --- Epilogue
From: Ichiro Suzuki <suzuki@blatz.cs.uwm.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:09:15 -0600
Cc: suzuki@blatz.cs.uwm.edu

Last summer I asked you for comments on the low resolution of
a used Noctilux I tried.  Thanks to all of you who replied.

Since I could not convince myself that that particular Noctilux was
functioning the way it should, I returned it and got a newer one.
And the difference between the two is significant!
At f1, the new one gives crispier pictures with more definition.
8x10 prints of my friends shoot in a dark restaurant
(1/25 sec at f1 on XP2) show fairly smooth gray tones, despite
the high contrast in the scenes.

Also, I found it is true that with a Noctilux I can easily
"turn night into day" using high-speed color film, i.e., the
scene was so dark that I don't remember what I saw, but lots of
colorful things are clearly visible in the picture.
Maybe it's not a "good" picture, but it was at least amusing
the first time I saw it!

Thanks all. --Ichiro