To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Noctilux resolution
From: Ichiro Suzuki <suzuki@blatz.cs.uwm.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 19:08:20 -0500
Cc: suzuki@blatz.cs.uwm.edu

I tried a used Noctilux lately and found that it has considerably
lower resolution at f1 compared to at f1.4 or f2, at 1 meter.
Many of the images shot at 1-2 meters at f1 look distinctly soft, and
the lens does not resolve, at f1, the fine prints (sweepstakes rules,
about 35 characters per inch) on a side of a box of 24oz Kellog's Corn
Flakes places at 1 meter.  At f2 the fine prints become quite readable.
(I used XP2, Fujicolor 100 and 400, Sensia 400 and examined the images
using a loupe and a microscope. Prints look soft at f1 also.)

Is this normal for a Noctilux?
Am I asking something impossible (resolution) to this very fast lens?
And maybe should I use it only in very dark scenes where one just wants
something to be on the film and doesn't ask for anything more?

Thanks! --Ichiro