To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Leica Newsgroup)
Subject: Leica M6 vs. SLR's (Bottom Line)
From: sachse@msc.cornell.edu
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 1995 12:51:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Group -

After mailing my comparative list of Leica M6 vs. Nikon N90s
features/qualities, I thought of a summary that I should have
included:

Leica M6: A precision instrument. Can be used without batteris.
	Requires active participation by the photographer to
	get good pictures. Capable of truly superb photos but
	that requires considerable thinking, insight and/or
	experience. Even if only to obtain "good" or "OK" photos,
	requires active user thought and participation. Flash
	pictures require considerable participation by the user.

	You really have to think when using this camera. You
	can get involved with your subject. The quiet and
	silky smooth operation allow you that. I think that
	this will turn out to become my favorite 35 mm landscape
	camera and a camera for taking unobtrusive pictures of
	people, events (reasonably slow moving events).

	Each photo is a deliberate action on the photographer's part.

Nikon N90s: A well-built camera. Use requires batteries. With
	minimal participation by the user, good pictures are usually
	obtained, under a diverse range of shooting conditions.
	Using the mating flash unit guarantees properly exposed
	flash pictures every time. A cinch to operate. Just press
	the button. With thought and insight on the photographer's
	part is also capable of generating great photos (I'm
	referring here to technical matters, i.e. properly
	exposed and focused photos.)

	A photo results every time you press the button. You can
	expose a 36 exposure roll of film in about 9 seconds!

	I use this kind of camera as a "point-and-shoot" camera
	as well as a complex photo taking instrument. This is a
	great camera for taking pictures under complex lighting
	situations; Uneven illumination; sport/action photos; photos
	with un-usual lenses (really wide angle, zooms, long-telephotos,
	macro and micro work, polarizing filters, etc.)

	I hope that I haven't belabored the point.

	Whatever you use, remember it's not nearly as important as you.

	-- W. Sachse
 | `---, | |_| | | |    | `--' | | `---, | `---,   #  CORNELL UNIVERSITY
 WWW Home Page: http://www.msc.cornell.edu/~sachse #