To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: G1 (cont'd)
From: Jeffrey Frey <jeff@eng.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 20:07:34 -0500

The first negatives I've seen from my G1 make me wonder about the focusing
accuracy at relatively long distances (>15') in dim light.  Pictures taken
at distances of that order with the 90mm lens in dim room light (about
1/25 @f2.8 in ISO400) were not in focus.  There is a red light on the
front of the G1 that blinks to increase the illumination on a dimly lit
subject to aid focusing, but of course the usefulness of the light is much
diminished as distance increases.  To say nothing of the attention that a
flash of red light gets....

I finally contacted the single person in charge of "technical information" at
Yashica (Contax) in N.J.; he couldn't explain how the autofocus worked, except
that it was contrast-sensitive.

Jeff