To: leica-users, meastman@adobe.com
Subject: Re: Leica body materials
From: Darrell Raymond <drraymon@daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 92 13:05:10 -0400

>From meastman@adobe.com Tue Jul 21 15:16 EDT 1992
>From: meastman@adobe.com (Mark Eastman)
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: Leica body materials
>
>My understanding is that after the M4 Leica bodies switched from being
>manufactured in brass alloy to a .8mm thick zinc alloy (at least for
>the top plate). The baseplate, I know is still brass on the M6. I'd like
>to know if anyone knows about these materials for Leica bodies and
>perhaps what the reasoning behind switching to zinc was (lighter and harder?).

  This is from Pop Photo's "Stripdown: Leica M6", of July '85:

	What weaknesses there were with older M-series models
	were mainly associated with impact damage to the camera's
	most expensive module, the range/viewfinder.  This could
	be wiped out with a blow to the camera's top left, front
	corner. The thin, snugly fitted, chromed-brass top cover
	could only withstand so much at this point...The M6 uses
	a zinc-alloy casting instead of the (more expensive)
	chromed brass stamping for its top cover.  Leitz claims
	the zinc casting will give better impact protection.

	The new casting is first copper-plated, then given the
	widely admired Leitz black-chrome finish.  It's a relatively
	thick-walled casting, and much heaver than the older stamped
	part.  The same alloy appears to be used in the die-cast
	hinged back.

	The main body and the surrounding outer shell are, as always,
	aluminum alloy die-castings.

  I hope this answers your questions.

-Darrell Raymond.