To: leica-users
Subject: Re: misc. optics
From: Ihtisham.Kabir@Eng.Sun.COM (Ihtisham Kabir)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 92 16:47:31 PDT

>   I'll stand up for Canon rangefinder lenses as being among the best
> performers for the price in Leica screwmount.  The late, black lenses,
> such as 35/1.5, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, and 100/2.0 are particularly good, and
> will cost you about $200/piece in excellent condition.  The dirt-cheap
> 50/1.8's of all vintages seem to be very respectable as well.  There
> are also exotics like the 19/3.5, 50/0.95, and 85/1.5, but these seem
> to be climbing up to the $600 range.
>
>         -- Richard

$200 sounds much better than the outrageous prices for new Leica
lenses. But I have been burned badly in the past by a used lens
which was screwed up (lens flare due to coating gone bad.)

I'd like to know if there is some foolproof method of buying
used glass. For starters, who would be a reputable dealer?
Also, where can I get the bayonet adapter for my M4 and M6?
Will the frame in the finder change for the different focal
lengths like they do for Leica lenses? Will focusing and
parallax correction still work?

While we are on the subject, I bought a new (grey market) 50/2
Summicron from Adorama ($$ ouch!) and was surprised that to put
on the lens cap one has to take off the filter, turn it around
and slip it in. Is this normal? Why is there no lens cap that I
can put on/take off quickly? My old 35mm summilux has one.

Thanks,

- Ihtisham Kabir
kabir@sun.com