Subject: [Leica] IMG: Rzeszów
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 07:06:09 +0200

I spent a few days earlier this month in Rzesz?w, a town of about 250,000
inhabitants in south-eastern Poland. Despite its relatively modest size, it
is the main city in a rather thinly populated part of the country, about 100
km from the Slovak border to the south and 90 km from the Ukraine border to
the east. Because of this proximity and the fact that it has a good airport,
Rzesz?w has become one of the main transit points for western military aid
to Ukraine, and ?just in case?, its airport is well protected with Patriot
defence systems (sadly, there is no good place from where to photograph
them, as the best view is from a busy road where one cannot stop).

Besides this recent involvement in the war, Rzesz?w has a long and (like
most of Poland) sometimes painful history. It was part of the
Austro-Hungarian empire between 1795 and 1918, a time when Poland did not
exist as a state, having been carved up among its large neighbours Russia,
Austria-Hungary and Prussia. But also, like the rest of Poland, it has
experienced a renaissance since the fall of Communism in 1989, and is today
a vibrant and lively place. I was there last year also, so some of the
places you will have seen before, but this time I explored some other areas,
especially a very nice, long riverside promenade known simply as ?the
Boulevard?.

A gallery of 84 images is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Travel/Rzesz?w-August-2024

Nathan