Subject: [Leica] Ice Caves
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 13:17:24 -0700

Yesterday we went to the Big Four Ice Caves, about 1.5 hours north of
Seattle. Snow accumulates against the shading rock face of a 6,180 ft.
(1,880 m) high mountain and compresses into ice. Water flows underneath
and and warm air circulates, forming the caves each summer.

Here is an overview of the area. With some added cuteness. This was
Carley's (our new Border Terrier) first hike with us. Note that there
are two canine images in the picture. Can your find the second one?
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53936791125/in/dateposted-public/>

Here is one side of the ice field, with and some people for scale.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53936576793/in/dateposted-public/>

A long telephoto close-up of? one of the caves in B&W:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/53936524644/in/dateposted-public/>

The ice caves can be very dangerous. Four people have been killed and
several more injured by collapses in the last 26 years. It's an easy 1.1
mile hike in, but there's no cell service for miles around. When I was
younger and dumber, like many people, I used to go into the caves or
slide down the ice slopes. Not any more.? That's why I used my Olympus
40-150 telephoto for the second two pictures. The first was with a
Panasonic 20/1.7. Olympus EM-1 Mark II.

Best viewed full screen (F11). Double click to expand the pictures. Enjoy!

--Peter

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Ice Caves)