Subject: [Leica] OT: Sport Cruiser Bike Project Completed
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 22:55:52 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

If bicycles aren't your thing, you might want to skip this post.

I love intensive mech restro projects, but too arthritic now for any new
large ones (cars etc) so early last year decided to strip my bicycle down to
its frame and build it back up with upgraded parts.

Background:

"Jamis" Hudson Sport Cruiser purchased 2013 ($400.00) good enough for some
low intensity exercise while scooting thru the "hood".  Heavy (29 lbs),
crappy loose bearing headset and bottom bracket, low end Shimano 7 speed
derailer/gearset ect ect.  all expected for a less than a grand bike.  The
aluminum frame, however, fit me perfectly, and the tig welds are excellent.
I also kept the handlebars, stem, and brake handles.

Installed the following:

-Light weight Mavic alloy wheels - black annodized stainless spokes
-Bontrager 26x1.75 hard case tires
-Shimano Deore XT closed bearing front hub.
-Shimano Alfine 8 speed internally geared rear hub with cable, shifter
and tensioner (frame has verticle drop)
-Crane Creek closed bearing headset.
-Shimano HollowTech II Bottom Bracket.
-Shimano Alfine crankset
-Brooks leather saddle and handgrips
-MeetLocks pedals
-Shimano Deore linear pull brakes
-Jagwire kevlar lined break cables
-Spurcycle Bell
-High end KMC chain

Finale:

Weighed the bike this morning, just over 24 pounds, still heavy, but not bad
for a "cruiser".  Rides like a dream and silent as a mouse.  Already
planning the next one, got my eyes on a light weight steel frame set from
Soma Fabrications, probably will go with a Rohloff Tranny for that one.
Here's a few pics of the finished Jamis:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/montoid/b16.jpg.html  Just keep punching
the next button.

Montie

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] OT: Sport Cruiser Bike Project Completed)