Subject: [Leica] Auto ISO
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 21:30:46 -0700

I thought a few words about how this function operates on Leica, at least on
the M9, might be useful to y'all, since the Leica Manual is not the clearest
on this subject.

Let's start with an understanding of the relationship between the three
parameters: ISO, f-number, and shutter speed. We are used to thinking of
exposure having one degree of freedom for a correct exposure. That is
because we are used, from years of experience with film, of thinking of ISO
being a constant. You can't change ISO in the middle of a roll of film. So,
for any situation, there is one degree of freedom for a "correct" exposure:
you change shutter speed, you have to change aperture, and vice versa.
Hence, for the little all-electronic cameras where both the aperture and
shutter are under computer control, you can choose the aperture (aperture
preferred), or you can chose the shutter speed (shutter speed preferred) and
the camera choses the one you didn't chose. You all know this; I'm just
being pedantic.  Oh, then these idiot cameras have "programmed" mode where
the camera chooses both based on some arcane set of rules. That's for bozos.

Now, lets look at the Leica. The camera can control the shutter, but it
can't control the aperture. So the only automatic mode would appear to be
aperture preferred. Ah, but the ISO is under the control of the camera's
computer. It is now a third variable: it can be changed at any time. So,
Leica in its wisdom invented Auto ISO. Now we have two degrees of freedom.
That is, we can pick the values of any two: say ISO and aperture, and now
the shutter speed is determined. Thus, on the Leica, we now have a way of
doing shutter speed preferred: set the shutter to the speed you want, set
the aperture to the f-number you want, and the camera will pick an ISO that
gives the correct exposure. So, what happens if you set Auto ISO and
aperture preferred on the M9? You will be in s situation similar to program
mode in a point and shoot. The camera will chose both the shutter speed and
the ISO value. I took a few shots at three consecutive stops on the dial,
and the shutter speed sat at 1/150, perhaps not what I would want with a
90mm.

If you set a shutter speed and an f stop with Auto ISO, everything works
fine as long as the ISO that gives "correct" exposure is in the available
ISO range. And you can use exposure compensation. What you lose is any
information about exposure in the viewfinder. What information could that
be? The ISO the camera selects, of course.

One warning: the little dot and triangles used for manual exposure setting
seem to be meaningless with Auto ISO: just ignore them.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (Leowesson) ([Leica] Auto ISO)