Subject: [Leica] Where Heaven and Earth Meet...
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 12:17:55 +0530

Just got back from a week in Buddhist Ladakh, the northern most part
of India, in the High Himalayas. It is one of the few places I have
been to where the journey within the area is far more important than
the eventual destination as one amazing, jaw dropping vista after
another opens up as you drive along in what is essentially a high
altitude desert.

I just processed a few shots as a starter, all taken at Pangong Tso
(Banggong Tso is Tibetan for "long, enchanted, narrow lake"), a
brackish, endorheic lake about 140km long, and around 14000 feet above
sea level, which straddles India and China (Tibet). It is easily one
of the most beautiful places I have ever seen, and is accessed by the
Chang La Pass, at 17,590 feet the third highest motorable road in the
world - which also makes it a very popular motorbiking destination.
Unfortunately, ours was just a day trip, and if I ever go there again,
I will camp for a few days. The whole area of Ladakh is very much a
landscape sort of place, something I have never really concentrated on
before, so it was quite a challenge to think a little differently. I
was also testing out a new lens on the Nikon D800E during the trip,
Nikon's new lightweight 70-200 f4, and to say it passed with flying
colours is an understatement - just look at the last two shots:

Pangong Tso:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130903_0802.jpg.html

Mountains:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130903_0786.jpg.html

Bikes:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/India/Ladakh/Ladakh_20130903_0736.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] Where Heaven and Earth Meet...)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Where Heaven and Earth Meet...)