Subject: [Leica] Am I too tough??? maybe... maybe not : )
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 06:57:58 +0000

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the kind words and compliment as well as the frank--tell it like
you see it--harsh words of a photo editor...

You are right...  yes  "A) I've got to do a reflection shot for the LUG."
was sort of what I was thinking...  Actually it was... Reflection in a car
window...?  Really???  That's our assignment???  Car window are curved...
and you see all the stuff inside of the car...?  ARGHHHH....  I liked the
theme blue and reflections I can do...  Car windows???

After not really seeing anything I wanted to shoot for a week and 1/2...  I
took a day and headed off to a couple of towns in the mountains where I had
never been before to take some photos...   with the assignment sort of a "if
I see something I'll shoot it."

So I was looking for something interesting to shoot and actually..  I really
liked the reflections I was getting in
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/dbirkey/abstracts/DuaneBirkey20139156_lg.jpg.html

So I figured...  I  wonder if there is a car window I can get this
reflection in...  Well the only thing there was this stupid old Chevy pickup
with dirty windows, and dirty windows aren't ideal for a reflection..  I
thought about cleaning them... and then remembered that I was in Colorado
where people tend to carry guns and don't really like you messing with their
truck...     I took one frame... wasn't happy with it at all... So I gave up
on that...  and didn't even notice the mirror at that point...   I came back
a couple hours later hoping there would be another car there...   there
wasn't...  So thought I'd try again...  at which point I saw the pink hand
mirror haphazardly duct-taped as the side mirror....    So I changed
directions and made the photo more about the humour of the pink mirror and
duct tape on a Chevy pickup than the reflection....    Which is why the
focus is on the mirror and not the actual reflection...

Normally I wouldn't bother to even take a photo of a pink duct-taped mirror
on the side of Chevy pickup... let alone show it to anybody....   but I
thought the LUG might find it humorous....      (Did at least somebody smile
at it???   : )  )  But I never could find an angle for the shot I was happy
with...  So I moved on...

I did actually try to think of some other situations that might make for an
interesting reflection...  and most of those  involved lighted signs at
night....   which if I had had more time or motivation... and no security
concerns....   I would have worked a bit harder at it...

As you said,  it was not my best effort...    But I still had fun doing
it...   And it got me out to take a whole bunch of other photos that I
really enjoyed getting...  which is sort of the purpose of the assignment
anyhow...

Thanks for the honest C&C,

Duane

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Am I too tough??? maybe... maybe not : ) Duane Birkey!)