Subject: [Leica] Is Film dead?
From: oliverbryk at comcast.net (Bryk Oliver)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:08:09 -0700

Jim wrote:

> Oliver:
>
> It's not that difficult to soup your own, and no need to spend hours on
> the MUNI.
>
> Get a stainless tank and reel, Nikkor is best,
> and a one liter bag of D76, a very forgiving developer.
> Some Ilford liquid fixer and some FP4 film.
>
> Less than 20 minuets to process then wash and dip in a bowl of water
> with a drop of Photo Flo.
>
> Hang it to dry for awhile in a part of your apartment/condo with hardly
> any traffic.  Leave it alone!
>
> Have a glass of Cabernet, "The apples are under control".
>
> At 72, I do it at least once a week, you can do it too... but I don't do
> my own E6 anymore, especially the 11x14 Ektachrome.
>
> Don't bother with the fancy developers, you'll only drive your self crazy.

Jim,

I really appreciate your recipe, your stamina, and your spirit.

Until 1976 - when I divorced my first wife and sold the whole kit - I had a
complete wet chemistry darkroom where I successfully developed and printed
BW according to Ansel Adams's oral and printed instructions.

During the subsequent 25 years or so I was too busy - and usually too tired
- to process film. Now every drain has a warning sign not to poison the
waters that ultimately flow into the Pacific Ocean.

I infer from your reference to MUNI that you live in or near the City. How
about meeting for a walkabout?

Best regards,

Oliver (1928).

Replies: Reply from jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Is Film dead?)