Subject: [Leica] BLUR - My last words.
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 16:39:12 -0500

On Aug 14, 2013, at 4:18 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Lew I think you got it ass backwards.
> I think photos didn't not appear in the press till way later as the
> halftone
> ( 1872) came way after the Daguerreotype -(1840-1855)
>
> The first printed photograph was an image of Steinway Hall in Manhattan
> published on December 2, 1873"
>
> " The first truly successful commercial method was patented by Frederic
> Ives
> of Philadelphia in 1881"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone
>
> The amazing detail of the Daguerreotype made it an instant sensation for
> the
> public.
> None of the dozens of photo processes which came later and come now did not
> equal it in resolution and detail.
> They were not really in competition with the paper prints Talbot came up
> with the same week in England 1839. They totally dominated the hearts and
> minds of the public from day one. Sure you had to hold them so they caugth
> the light right be that just added to their allure.
> The idea that people had do learn to see 2d photos? Wow! Do we have a URL
> on
> that?
> I think "pictures" had been around for a long time before they started
> making with with camera obsuras which has photo sensitive materials in
> them.
> Starting with cave paintings.

Newspapers and magazines did use engraved illustrations
pre-halftone process for photographs.

<https://www.google.com/searchq=19th+century+newspaper+illustration&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nvgLUpTCL-fqyQHSvYDIBA&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1182&bih=885>

<https://www.google.com/search?q=18th+century+newspaper+illustration&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nvgLUpTCL-fqyQHSvYDIBA&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=1182&bih=885#bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=8bba06cdae184256&q=18th+century+newspaper+illustration&sa=1&tbm=isch>

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com