Subject: [Leica] Infrared and the Fuji XE 1
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&E Cummer)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:56:32 -0700

Hi Luggers,
Henning's posting of a few days ago with the comparisons of the various M
digital cameras included a few infra red shots with the old M8.
The capacity of that camera to record infra red was one of the things that
endeared it to me. I had a great time making infra red photos in
Hong Kong's Happy Valley cemetery.

Those pictures are here, if you want to have another look:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/HK+Cemetery/>

http://tinyurl.com/2vuw4p

I got to thinking - what about the Fujis - what would be their infra red
capability given the special X trans sensor.

I dug out my old B&W 092 infra red filter that I had used with the M8 and
with an adapting ring mounted it
on my 90 Elmarit and then mounted the lens on my XE 1 using the fuji adapter.

Here is an unprocessed infra red picture:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2013/DSCF8292W.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/qj7brgu

One of the advantages of the EVF in manual mode is that you can enlarge the
view and see the compensation required for the focus shift
caused by the IR filter. That is better than turning the focus ring back
half a stop to compensate for the focus difference as I used to do with the
M8.
That was rather hit and miss.

I fooled around in photoshop with the red and green layers to come up with
the following B&W picture;

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Canada2013/Green2BWw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/k3zmk6f

It isn't exactly infra red but it is getting there. I would be grateful, off
list if you prefer, to hear from photoshop experts about how to extract the
best
B&W image from the red one using CS6. I can't find my serial number to use
my old Silky Pix and I never liked it much anyway.

Cheers

Howard (bored with hummers and eagles and lacking Miss O as a subject this
hot pm)

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Infrared and the Fuji XE 1)