Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on Auto ISO
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:50:32 -0700

I played a bit with Auto ISO snapping away at light and dark places around
the house. My first reaction was "Hell, if I wanted that much automation I'd
get a point and shoot--well, I recently   did get one, a used Lumix DMC-LX5,
but it stays in aperture preferred mode.

I took to aperture  preferred when I first got the M9 like a duck to water.
So, after first turning Auto ISO off, I turned it back on with broad limits:
minimum shutter speed 1/15--with the mass of an M9, I've gotten away with
1/15 surprisingly well-- and I left the max ISO at the top. While ISO above
800 was pretty awful in the days of LR2, the noise reduction in LR5 is so
good that I find ISO 2500 to be usable.

I remembered some shots in broad daylight taken at ridiculously high ISO
because I just forgot to look. So, my final decision is to leave it in Auto
ISO for a week and just see what happens.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Thoughts on Auto ISO)