Subject: [Leica] Mr. B. D. Colen speaks
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:03:47 -0500

Deciding to pick up a pencil instead of a paint brush. Drawing with pen and
ink instead of colored pencils. Knowing when to dip the brush in black; or
when to dip it in blue and mix that with a bit of red in order to express a
visual thought. None of these decisions involve "right and/or wrong." Each
involves a personal aesthetic choice; pure and simple. For as long as I can
remember, even as a child, I was drawn to graphite, etchings, engravings,
silver points, black and white photographs, rich monochrome or duo tone
tonality - never questioned why - just really enjoyed looking at the variety
of warm and/or cool blacks and deep earth tones that come with charcoal and
conte; selenium and sepia.

I have deep respect for talented colorists. My late friend and painter, Jim
Zunk, was a true colorist; as is my first wife, painter Joyce Paul. I
believe our Ric Carter is also a "natural" when it comes to using color
"artistically." Mark R also seems to have a strong color aesthetic language
that he's working with and on.

Most people simply say, whether with words or with their photographs, "I
prefer color." And do not truly understand color as painters do; or as the
color photographers B.D. mentioned do. And that's just fine. Just choices
for most. We know, for sure and nearly instantly, when someone knows how to
truly speak exceptionally eloquently in color or in monochrome.

a note off the iPad, George

Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Mr. B. D. Colen speaks)
Message from ric at cartersxrd.net (RicCarter) ([Leica] Mr. B. D. Colen speaks)
Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Mr. B. D. Colen speaks)