Subject: [Leica] Politically correct - final post
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 11:15:28 -0400

I think you've gotten to the core of the controversy about the perception of
sexism in the use of the term "se?orita" in this forum. Perception is all!
When a Spanish speaker uses it, it's just ordinary conversation. When a
non-Spanish speaker uses it in reference to a non-Hispanic female, it's
unnatural, therefore an affectation and therefore suspect: as being sexist,
paternalistic, leering, whatever, but in any case perceived as condescending
and demeaning. Its use certainly may not be intended that way (never on the
LUG!), or unconsciously motivated by same, but it still carries the flavor.

?howard