Subject: [Leica] Mahagandayon Monastery, Amarapura, Mandalay
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 20:59:34 -0700

Hello again Luggers,
While in Mandalay we visited the Mahagandayon Monastery, located in
Amarapura, just outside Mandalay.
Mahagandayon is one of the largest teaching monasteries in Burma and between
1,600 and 2,000 monks live (and eat) in the monastery every day. They take
their main meal at noon and line up to march into the dining room. Many
tourists and believers come to see the monks and to offer alms at the same
time. It happens every day just before noon. We arrived earlier to walk the
grounds and see some of the preparations for the meal.

While lining up to wait for the monks a butterfly landed on my M9 - how's
that for a blessing! Esther's quick work caught the moment:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/Butterflyw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/c95n67y

Walking through the outdoor kitchen I took a turn stirring the stew. The
kitchen was not hallowed so I was allowed to keep on my sandals.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/HCStewStirw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/d2d98a8

The monks stir the several vats of rice to keep it from sticking:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/RiceStir3w.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/c7kr2gb

Here is a two panel of the monks stirring:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/2MonkRicew.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/bvdt2jm

The novice monks wear white and are very young;

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/Novicew.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/c5ru2kv

The visitors give alms to the monks as they march along. US$ are preferred.

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/MonkMoneyw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/boge5z7

Another view of the marching monks:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Burma2013/MonkMarchw.jpg.html>

http://tinyurl.com/c7jjvhm

Please look large. C&C always welcome,

Howard (in HOT (by West Coast standards) Vancouver)

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Mahagandayon Monastery, Amarapura, Mandalay)
Reply from gerry.walden at me.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Mahagandayon Monastery, Amarapura, Mandalay)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Mahagandayon Monastery, Amarapura, Mandalay)
Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Mahagandayon Monastery, Amarapura, Mandalay)