Subject: [Leica] IMG: The last from New Zealand
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:11:39 -0700

Thank you!
The cross is a stained glass memorial to local fallen Maori men from
Word War I.
The plaque underneath, in Maori,  says something like "show
commemoration of many battles", and a dedication to Tumatauenga, the
Maori God of War and Balance.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumatauenga), along with a poem in both
Maori & English.
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

And yes, that is the Southern Alps.
Taken on the road into Mt. Cook National Park, which is the tallest mtn.
in New Zealand, and where Edmund Hillary learned to climb.
Mt. Cook (or Aoraki, in the native language) is the mtn. on the right
side of the photo, behind the hill on the right edge.

Jay

On 3/25/2013 2:31 PM, philippe.amard wrote:
> Very clean photos Jay
>
> What's the incipit/ex voto in the first one referring to?
>
> And is the second one what some call the Southern ALps? It looks
> beautiful and is so new to me, really, could be Switzerland on an fine
> day.
>
> Amiti?s
> Philippe
NO ARCHIVE

--
Jay,

Jay Burleson Gallery <http://jayburleson.com/leica/gallery/index.php/>
"A photographer is simply someone who is
looking for something that can't be found.
The photograph is the record of that attempt."

Replies: Reply from cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie) ([Leica] IMG: The last from New Zealand)
Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] IMG: The last from New Zealand)
Message from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] IMG: The last from New Zealand)