Subject: [Leica] The beautiful backs of Limerick
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 18:38:14 +0900

Paraphrasing Ruskin, go to the artist to get at his meaning, not a
confirmation of your own.  I think Rian Dundon has an excellent vision.

As art, it can never speak to everyone.  The tilt is not a major part
of it, and he seems to be consistently applying it to 'get what he
wants in the four lines of the frame'.  Sometimes there more to it
than that.

No-one walks around with a spirit level in front of their nose, yet we
very rarely feel dizzy when looking at the world with a cocked head
and cheeky wink, or when we shrug our shoulders and tilt our
craniums.  I find in Dundon's work  invitation and presentation,
expressive attitude, and a lot more besides.  The Wild China project
is awesome, and there are some great photographs in the Limerick set
too, although it wants editing down a bit more.

Peter Cheyne

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] The beautiful backs of Limerick - comment and comparisons)