Subject: [Leica] Gen Y Surprise
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 00:06:32 -0500 (CDT)

I thought my Saturday morning might be of some interest on the LUG.  Knowing
I'm a Leicaman, a colleague at another campus sent me one of her students
who inherited a Leica kit from his grandfather.  This twenty-something began
with digital photography, then started using a film Rebel for his class and
wanted to learn how to use this old equipment.  Even though he's been using
an auto-exposure SLR, he didn't seem too daunted after I explained all the
special concerns associated with working a 60 year old (non-SLR) system.

The trove he showed me consisted of a IIIf, 5 cm Summitar, 3.5 cm Summaron,
9 cm Elmar, 1.35 cm Hektor, Imarect finder, leather case (with extended
Imarect top flap), and Focaslide copying device.  There were also misc.
filters, adapter rings, lens hoods, an old GE selenium light meter, a
non-Leitz flash gun, the 1953 edition of Morgan & Lester's Leica Manual, the
original IIIf instruction book and some Leitz publicity brochures on lenses,
etc.  Everything was almost mint condition, but as usual, the shutter of the
camera was very sticky.  The fast speeds didn't sound quite right, and the
slow speed gear train seemed pretty well gummed up.

I ran through my usual loading procedure twice (after showing him how to cut
a longer leader) and let him try it.  He got it on the first try.  I think
the camera might be making a trip to DAG; this student really wants to use
this Leica since it was his grandfather's.

I didn't expect to meet someone his age that would give film photography a
whirl, especially with a camera so different from the latest
AE/AF wonderbricks.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee