Subject: [Leica] Bokeh Opinion Please
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 15:14:27 -0700

Tina Manley asked:

> LUG:
>
> I am looking at Alien Skin's Bokeh (I like their other programs).
> What do you think of the before and after:
> > They have quite a few lens simulations for bokeh but no Leica's!!!
> This one is a Canon 85/1.4.

Hi Tina,
I see it as a tool when shooting a story on this man, let's say a wood
cutter etc, (Tom)

I have no preference other than the wider angle with the bokeh effect has
too much throw away space which I don't think under regular use in a photo
story it would be used in this wide cropping. If you were to crop it
tighter, it certainly and cleanly separates the subject from the back ground
making it a viable tool for that use... A clean background.

By the same token if you were establishing the cutter guy & his farm back
ground all in one frame, then the first is the logical clean choice. Stay
wide as a location establishing clean photograph.

So it's the final use of the photograph that would determine use, rather
than which do I like.

For what it's worth.
cheers,
ted