Subject: [Leica] Flare Question......
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:54:37 -0400

The 90 Elmarit is a stunning lens made with NASA money and influence by
Leica during a time when it didn't have much money elsewise to do much of
anything. But proved that with some backing they were still in the ballgame.
Nasa had some specs they needed to be fulfilled. Isn't outer space a high
flare deal?. It was named in the 90's as the second best lens you could get
in the total world of 35mm photography by a French photo magazine of high
repute. The first was a 180 f2 costing many thousands I forgot the brand
name. I've used the lens extensively and never got flare.
Once I took it on a trip to the sun.
In all the reviews by the best people I've never heard a breath of air about
flare. And think "flare" and this lens does not normally appear in the same
page.
After getting the Summicron I didn't sell it.
Could it need a cleaning?
Can we see the shot which gave you this idea?

Sometimes I have a lens and I check the rear element and it had got quite
dirty. You think you're on top of things but sometimes not.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com