Subject: [Leica] OT: New Zeiss 35/1.4
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 18:06:52 -0400

Its big but it seems to be a ZF or ZE deal meaning Nikon or Canon and those
are hulking hunking bodies compared to Leica M. on an M you'd need optical
deflectors in the viewfinder to see around corners. Video like backing up
your car.
It looks like Tupperware. I'd like to use it for crisping lettuce.
I think if one had a set of ZF glass it would blend right in;
In front of a D3s or x it would not seem at all big. Small even.
And in front of a D700 just right size wise. Not ugly cheap imitation of
Zeiss wise.

A 35mm 1.4 lens is getting to be the flagship lens of a lens line. Not the
50. Realistically you're going to get a whole hot more shots with it than
with a 50. It's a far more important lens. So it's a key choice. At this
point I'd have to say I'd be just as cool with a 1.8 or 2. And for whatever
system I'd like it compact.

As much as I don't care what my pix look like just as long as my lens looks
good I'd have to wait till someone like Erwin or Erwin himself did a test
againt the Nikon and canon versions of the same optic. Leica even.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com