Subject: [Leica] Traveling with a camera
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:56:38 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010  Lawrence Zeitlin <lrzeitlin at gmail.com> wrote:

>(excerpted)...

>I long for a quality DSLR the size and solidity of the Olympus OM series or
>even the Leica III series. I neither need nor want the bells and whistles,
>including the 27 exposure modes built into most modern cameras. I can think
>for myself, thank you, and set the camera as needed.
===================================================================================================
I have the same wish/philosophy. I hate bulky cameras.

I'm not sure if I could do now what I did in 1993, when I traveled through
England and the Isle of Man on a motorcycle, shooting stock photos.  Because
I used Olympus OM equipment, along with my clothing and other personal items
for a trip of two weeks on a bike, I was able to pack two OM bodies(for
Kodachrome and B&W), 21, 50, 100 and 300mm lenses, a small Vivitar tripod,
and an Olympus Stylus.  Because I needed lenses longer than what an M8/M9
supports, and from what Tina says about QC, these days I'd have to use a
huge DSLR body and lenses, extra (big) batteries, and chargers, etc.  Trying
to carry all this on a motorcycle might not be practical. Or maybe I'm
wrong; Nathan could probably set me straight.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
amr3 at uwm.edu