Subject: [Leica] Following in Nathan's Footsteps - Walking the Brooklyn Bridge
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard Taylor)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:12:52 -0400

Seeing Nathan's shots of NY and the Brooklyn Bridge on his recent visit
reminded me that I had never walked across the Brooklyn Bridge despite being
a native New Yorker.  Typical, though, right?  Awww,...  it'll always be
there...  only tourists do that kind of stuff...   right?  :-)

So, as part of our Father's Day celebrations, my son and I walked the
Bridge, starting in Manhattan.

Unfortunately, a few thousand other people had the same idea.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/NYC/P1010283.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/35g5acy

It was in the high 80s F but the sea breeze had kicked in so the walk across
was hot but pleasant.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/NYC/P1010297.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/35bkpkx

The reason that the left lane is wide open, despite the crowding, is that
it's the bike lane and New York bikers know no mercy.  I got clipped on the
arm by one, and I saw a few near misses.  If I strayed into the bike lane to
take a picture my son pulled me back, quick!

With all the heat, the water vendors did a good business.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/NYC/P1010306.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/35om52n

We saw three wedding couples on the Bridge, in full wedding regalia.
Apparently, walking the Bridge after the ceremony is a Brooklyn thing to do
(all the couples were walking from the Brooklyn side).  This pair had the
largest party and came equipped with both photographers and videographers.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/NYC/P1010340.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/26mtvyp

There were plenty of good views of the City, too.  This is a three-frame
pano.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/NYC/P1010322-Edit-2.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/2b8lrye

And, we reach the Brooklyn side...  How Sweet it Is!  Jackie Gleason lives!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/NYC/P1010342.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/23hq6vv

We had such a good time, we celebrated by walking back to Manhattan.

GF-1, 20mm Lumix; there were many times I wished for the 7-14 zoom, but I
wanted to travel light.  My aim for grab shots is awful and I needed the
wider angle to get them.  I'm looking forward to the coming 14mm pancake.

Sailing season is here!  Boating pictures soon.

C&C always welcome.

Regards,

Dick