Subject: [Leica] Wow, the last word on Bokeh, from Zeiss
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:12:38 -0400

> Rabs,
>
> That's what I'm sayin'. You know the history, you don't miss a trick. And
> as
> I remarked in another thread, if hanging out on the LUG has taught me to
> really worship one lens from a distance, ie seeing the pics but not coming
> close to using or owning it, it's the 75 Summicron ASPH. So I'm with you.
> Plus my own aesthetic reaction to pictures causes me not to give a crap
> about bokeh 99 percent of the time. Watching Apocalypse Now Redux with my
> class today, there are moments of ghosting when they're shooting into the
> low sun where you can count the blades on the aperture, easily. It's still
> one of the three or four greatest American films.

These lenses represent the apogee of lens design. And their designers have
not missed the subtleties of lens design that the guys on the gear lists
know about and they do not. The very idea  of it is absurd.
A Leica lens made in the past dozen years ago is the cr?me de la cr?me of
lens design in the world period. Better than Zeiss made in Germany. Or
Scheider. Or Rodenstock.  Or Nikon or Canon.
It's the main reason to shoot Leica.
You could hate rangefinder cameras and wish they'd just stick the stuff on
DSLRS and STILL be shooting with them anyway because the glass is so much
better. I'm sure lots of people are in that position.

Those picture that were rejects - Had to be fished out of the pack because
of harsh bokeh whatever? You're never going to see them.

What your going to get with older lenes is you've paid less money for them
becaue they're worth less.
They have lower resolution and contrast. The things you want in a lens.
The bottom line is glass.
You have a cheap camera? No biggie. Just put a hunk of real good glass on
the front of it nobodies going to care or know the difference.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] Wow, the last word on Bokeh, from Zeiss)