Subject: [Leica] Ooops
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 01:05:16 -0500

> Some great photographers were born into well off families, like Ansel
> Adams,
> Alfred Stieglitz, and Henri Cartier-Bresson. Some made a lot of money doing
> something non-photo related and used that income to do photography, like
> Salgado. Those of us from middle class backgrounds had the ability to buy
> some gear but none of the support needed to live for the years it takes to
> start making money. I've spent a lot of my time studying the history of art
> (not just photography but all types of art) and I am doing so academically
> now that I am back in school getting my masters degree. It is interesting
> and saddening to see how many artists were supported by wealthy families
> most of their lives. In modern times those from more modest backgrounds had
> little chance.

Just for an example I wonder how much gear flies in and out of James
Nachtweys hands and how much money his parents had has anything to do it it.
I think photography is a profession. And professionals show respect for
their tools. They don't trade them back and forth like baseball cards. They
find gear which works for them and they get results from it. They don't just
get bored with stuff and trade it in for other stuff sight unseen its about
about  known results and being very familiar with your gear.
Photographers are much more focused on their work and less so on their gear.
Their gear they already have. They then use it.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Ooops)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Ooops)