Subject: [Leica] Very OT - Canon FD lenses
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:40:55 -0800

At 12:05 PM +0100 2/10/10, Douglas Sharp wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm sure there are plenty of still- or ex-users of Canon FD lenses
>out there. I would appreciate it very much if anyone can point me
>towards the highlights in the FD-mount range of lenses as I have
>recently inherited a CanonTLb and bought (very cheaply) one mint and
>one almost mint except for a couple of brassy dings on 2 corners A1
>bodies complete with winder, motor drive and various other bits and
>pieces.
>
>TIA
>Douglas

I never had a Canon FD mount camera, but used various lenses on other
cameras. The 35TS is outstanding, and only matched recently by the
new Canon 24 and 17 TS-E lenses. I had this adapted to Konica when I
was using that system 35 years ago. I also had a 19/3.5 FL
(non-retrofocus) and then the 17/4 FD and 20/2.8 FD SSC lenses; the
17 was quite good for the time but the 20 wasn't that great. They
were used on Leica M cameras with the Canon-LTM adapter.

The 50/1.2 AL and 85/1.2 were really good, as was the 200/2.8. The
latter lagged maybe slightly behind the 180/2.8 ED of Nikon, but that
was a very high standard.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design