Subject: [Leica] How I plan to get my M9 while keeping both kidneys...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 12:03:20 -0400

> I went to a friends wedding and met some old NY artist/photographer
> friends who moved out to LA.  Among them Iris Klein who recently had
> a show at the Leica Gallery (March 9th).  (Just to lend some
> credibility to my post here, lord knows I have little), her recent
> experience is that the top B&W photographers, meaning the ones with
> $$$ sorry no names, are returning back to traditional processing due
> to the relative lack of gradation in the digital color
> conversion.  In other words they are done with the excitement of the
> technology and getting back to what good B&W is all about.  I also
> know a Magnum photographer in my neighborhood who showed me his new
> state of the art darkroom in the basement of his brownstone.  He
> complained about similar issues with digital B&W.
>
> A B&W a la cart option on the M9 would be sweet

I don't think its gone full circle yet and it will be quite some time before
that happens. Right now the new digital processes and workflo is just
generating an extreme amount of positive excitement and I don't think
editors always think you're so cute when you say you are going to do a
project with film.
" lack of gradation in the digital color conversion. " is  a new one as
color digital especially.... just rocks. The results you see in magazines
now far exceeds those of the previous decade.

Mark William Rabiner