Subject: [Leica] S2 thoughts (was: Re: M9 thoughts!)
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:34:54 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>As the S2 is a medium format camera and landscape photography is really more
>a medium format thing than 35 there's that.
>But you being really a wildlife living in the landscape thing....
>But the S2 handling just like a 35 DSLR on one or two steroids.
>
>So far no lens is near long enough I'd think.
>
>I'm not remembering many wildlife shooters shooting Brownie film you'd think
>645 might do it in the handling department but perhaps again the glass never
>got long enough.

Pretty much on the mark.  The 350mm APO-Elmar-S on the S2 would give me an
angle of view about like the 280mm APO on a 24x36mm camera.  This is a
wide-angle lens for me.  I love the perspective the angle of view allows and
it's about as short a lens as I can regularly use for wildlife.  I looked
into 645 several years ago and the long-lens situation was more unmanageable
because 45x60 is bigger than the S2's 30x45.  One problem still remains: the
cost.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com