Subject: [Leica] M9 thoughts!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:40:24 -0400

If it is true that the M9 does not give several f stops above ISO 1600 use
like a  Canon 5D or a Nikon D3 does its because the M9 is part SUPER CAMERA.
Its 18 mps makes it closer to a 24.5mp D3x.
Than a normal D3 has which 12.1 megapixels. So its pixel sites are much
bigger. Less noise all measly 12.1 MP's  of them.
The super camera D3x goes for $7,999.95 mega dollars.
$999.95 more than an M9.
It has smaller pixel sites so not such great super high iso performance.
No one cares. They're covering a side wall of Grand Central Station with a
print from one anyway.

But Leica would get you back I think with the cost of the glass.
6 grand USD for a 21mm or 24mm f1.4 or Super Wide Angle/Wide Angle
Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm with finder!
Canon and Nikon does not compete with that premium nitch of lens making.
They're like to settle for glass a less exotic end for their big fat dumb
zooms; soon to be pass?.
Nikon and Canon likes to harvest their glass in this local solar system.
TEN grand USD for a Noctilux with no f5.6 shifting.
FOUR grand + each for a half dozen other Leica lenses.
You'd save money in the end dishing out the extra grand for the Japanese
super camrea.

I'm glad I've already got my Leica glass in the 90's when life was  simple
and grain was yellow.  And a dollar didn't cost 5 bucks.

Putting this glass in front of a Leica M9 I'm going to get results which
outclass the huge super cameras.
Even if my wides are 2.8's instead of 1.4's.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from michael at rosenblumtv.com (Michael Rosenblum) ([Leica] M9 thoughts!)