Subject: [Leica] Arbus
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 20:07:41 -0400

At 07:50 PM 5/16/2009, you wrote:
>Anybody seen Fur??  It's the imaginary biography of Diane Arbus
>starring Nicole Kidman. Should I look out for an imaginary Leica?
>
>Douglas

Probably not:

http://www.greeneone.net/arbus/
"Diane made another profound change with her camera. Previously, she
had been using a Leica, which is a 35-millimeter camera. When used
with the popular films, the pictures often exhibit a significant
amount of grain. The visual perspective is that the grain slightly
obscures the image. To Diane, grain was another version of a mask and
undesirable. So she switched to a rollei medium format camera that
offered two advantages. The camera provided sharper prints and less
grain. In following her thread on realty, I believe that Diane wanted
to remove any barrier that separating the film from the soul of her
subject. In addition, the camera also had the ergonomic location
advantage of being held at waist level. So, Diane was able to
maintain a better connection with her subjects."

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Arbus)