Subject: [Leica] IMG: Children in Ventimiglia
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:33:08 -0700

Thank you everyone for looking and for your kind words. As with most
shots that are not posed, luck played as much a part as anything. I
was ready, yes, and with focus and exposure set but I got half a
whole film of kids flitting back and forth through openings that
aren't useable. I could easily have shot 10 rolls and not gotten this.

I'm scanning the negs at this time; I do have a print of this
particular one up on the wall that I printed in the fall of 1967.
It's holding up reasonably well considering it's been in a bright
spot now for at least 25 years, but I could and should make a better
print now.

These are scanned on a Nikon 5000 which as is well known has issues
with some film/developer combinations. My negs are mostly Tr-X (this
shot), HP4,5, 5+ and then a lot of FP4. The worst for scanning seems
to be Tri-X in D76 1:1. Fortunately I often used FG7, Neofin or some
form of Microdol which didn't mush things up too much. Those seem to
be better. I could probably make at least as good an inkjet print of
this scan as I can a darkroom print. This is of course subjective,
but the grain aliasing is not a problem

I recently got the SF-210 bulk loader for the scanner, and it seems
to do well as far as feeding (not jamming) the slides. I used to have
a 2000 with the bulk loader and I swore at it more than just about
any computer peripheral ever. The main problem I have is that my
preferred scanning software, Vuescan, sometimes won't focus the
slides properly.

B&W is almost all in 6 frame strips, so I use the strip loader that
comes with the scanner.

For years I've been intending to get down to this, so now it's
started. Might last as long as I'm still able to operate a computer
or see the negs :-). I can't even guess how many I have at this time.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com