Subject: [Leica] Way OT: "Pre-Kindle" Story
From: grdalton at hotmail.com (Gary Dalton)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 14:37:06 -0700

The recent Kindle postings on the LUG remind me of a story.

Many years ago when we were cash-strapped, we decided to hit the road and
camp for the summer. So, we rented our house to a faculty member from a
prestigious university who was visiting Stanford to do some research for her
doctorate. She also wanted proximity to Silicon Valley for reasons which
will soon become apparent.

She was investigating whether "a book" -- stored on a computer -- could
still be called "a book..."

This predates The Matrix, but I had just read The Neuromancer, one of a
series of books about people and things that could "project themselves" onto
"a matrix."

I mentioned The Neuromancer to her, and she said, "That's exactly the sort
of thing I'm into."

I don't know if  it was a coincidence, but we found pot growing in our
backyard when we returned in the fall after her departure.

So, I have to ask: Is a book still a book on a Kindle?

Windows Live?: Keep your life in sync.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Way OT: "Pre-Kindle" Story)
Reply from philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD) ([Leica] Way OT: "Pre-Kindle" Story)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Way OT: "Pre-Kindle" Story)