Subject: [Leica] Slow CV 20mm for Pentax Nikon
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 13:29:25 +1000

Mark, I don't think that Leica considers that producing a 24x36 M is a sink
or swim issue.
First they have to survive as a company and look to have bet the ranch on
the S2 first.
A gazillion speculations predict a dSLR R10 and its new R lens system after
the S system gets off the ground. Lets hope so for everyone.
Any possible 24x36 M digital, if the engineering problems could be overcome,
would have to follow all of that and need millions of Euro more in
development costs.
Could there be any worse global financial situation than now to try to
achieve something like that?
Go out and buy a stack of new M lenses of your choice. Buy an M8, buy
anything from them. That sort of stimulation package might help them get
your dream 24x36 Digital M into production one day!

Very clearly the film M bodies are in absolutely minuscule numbers  with
basically just a trickle of 'on demand ' production for the Japanese market.
Those two limited run M8s represent about 12 months M7 & MP production
numbers, to put those in perspective.

I really do not think that any of the current M lenses are too large or
suffer from covering the 24x36 image circle.
As long as Leica has some M digital camera in production there is a vehicle
for them and a huge range of choices.
Pretty clearly no other company is stepping up to offer an alternative
digital M body, let alone a 24x36 sensor one.
I hope that Leica survives and after the S2 and new R system actually get
into production just maybe your dream might be possible one day

I don't understand why you object to the new, very fast, cutting edge lenses
being in the range for those that want/need/can afford them.
We still have the whole existing range of Summicrons, Elmarits etc down to
the slower compact ones.
On M wides you can go to the 35mm equivalent of 24mm FoV right now.
So the single 35mm focal length from Leica you cannot achieve is the 21mm.
Even there a Zeiss lens is available.
I really do think that their lenses are exactly what distinguish them from
all of the larger manufacturers and that is what they are saying when they
characterise them selves as a lens company.
I just want them to survive and flourish.

.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Slow CV 20mm for Pentax Nikon)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Slow CV 20mm for Pentax Nikon)