Subject: [Leica] Why are these birds called boobies?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:15:45 -0700

Between their wobbly gait on land and wide-eyed look, they do look
silly. On the other hand, as Doug mentioned they are amazing flyers.
The only fly in the ointment with the latter is that they live
together with frigate birds. Frigate birds, and especially the
Magnificent Frigate birds which are common on the Galapagos can do
aerial maneuvers that are hard to believe; they have the highest
wingspan to body weight ratio of any bird. They harass boobies and
tropicbirds until those drop the fish they just caught, and then the
frigate birds catch the fish before they hit the water. They also rob
each other, especially when a large heavy fish is the prize. Frigate
birds are like cormorants and anhingas; they don't have water
resistant feathers. They only dip into the water while airborne.

The boobies are also fantastic divers and swimmers. They might spy a
fish from 150ft. up, fold up into an arrow shape (their beak and head
work well for that) and dive straight into the water. They can easily
go down 40ft underwater, and swim after fish and catch them, with a
number of direction changes. The closely related gannets are similar.

It's quite an experience to be snorkeling and have some of these blue
footed, red footed and masked boobies dive down next to you hitting
the water at high speed and see them darting after fish. One can only
hope their aim is good.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design