Subject: [Leica] Presentation
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:29:43 -0700

Tina offered:

LUG:

The first talk using the Children of the World photos went great today.

The school wants to purchase the prints, have them framed and put on

permanent display in their halls.  I have four more talks to do using

them first, though.  The presentation went so much better using the big

prints than messing with a computer and PowerPoint.  I really like that

approach and hope to use it more often.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,

Wonderful on several counts. The kids enjoyed it very much. You've sold a
selection and probably will sell more due to other speaking engagements.

But the biggest point is, you've proven what I've been telling photographers
and photo students for a few years now... "USE SOME BIG PRINTS!" When you
show your photography. WHY? Well everybody of late looks at everything on
some kind of screen, heck they hardly have time to look at more then a  few
computer monitor images without making a quick "like-don't like decision"
about ones photography.

However a few 13X19 prints or larger, put them in their hands and you are in
for a much longer interview, period. Better still, a potential assignment!

Editors and designers are looking at screens of all kinds 8-10 hours or
longer a day..... "every day! Nearly every image becomes a blur of
something." However, drop a big beautiful print on the desk and they are
hooked! Because a nice big B&W or colour print can accomplish what no TV or
computer screen can.   "Let them hold the print and content I their hands
for more than clicking to the next one or on an automatic roll by of images
on screen.

Stop them to look and a conversation evolves because they want to see more?
Not always, but you've made them really stop and look at your ability as a
photographer. And not just another image flashing by on their screen like
the past 3 thousand images they've looked at in the previous 48 hours! :-(

Been there and done this for about the past 5 years and it's worked in at
least 9 out of 10 interviews to come away with a paying assignment!

Dr ted