Subject: [Leica] Recession/crisis
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:30:28 -0400

There is very little visual evidence of the recession in New York's
Hudson Valley. Sure, there is much less new home building than there
was a couple of years ago and a few more day workers, possibly
illegals, hanging around street corners waiting for jobs. But it is
hard to photograph what isn't there. There are no protests, no riots,
no storming of the state offices. No one is selling apples from a
pushcart. But then we had our recession decades ago. Because of easy
water transportation the Hudson River valley was the U.S. industrial
heartland for almost 200 years. But with railways, highways, and air
travel that no longer mattered. Locals are fond of saying that the
Hudson Valley reached its economic zenith during the Civil War and it
has been downhill ever since.

Factories closed up or moved elsewhere. Anti-pollution legislation
prohibiting industrial discharge into the river was the final straw.
My area lost a big distillery, food processing plants, paint
manufacturing, automobile assembly, a paper mill, brick making and
cement plants. Even the Crayola crayon company left town and moved to
Easton, PA. Commercial fishing for striped bass, blue crabs, and even
sturgeon caviar disappeared. Further upstate, entire industries shut
down. The Smith Corona typewriter plant moved to Mexico and then
closed entirely. Endicott Shoes, the country's largest show factory
went out of business. IBM sold its laptop computer manufacturing
operation to China. Finally, the lumber industry was decimated as
wooded areas were purchased and incorporated into the Adirondack
"Forever Wild" state park. (Which, by the way, is three times the
size of Yellowstone.) None of this was high tech but steady blue
collar work.

The residue of lost industrialization is easy to see but it is old
news. Riverside towns such as Peekskill, Fishkill, Newburgh,
Poughkeepsie and many of those along the Erie Canal are ghosts of
their former vibrant self. Docks are decrepit, factories vacant, some
houses old and in disrepair. They make good photo ops but it would be
a fraud to pass them off as symbolic of the current financial crisis.
I walked the neighborhood looking for dramatic scenes, even ordinary
scenes depicting the recession, but I couldn't find any. I guess I'll

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from leica at ralgo.nl (bruce golding) ([Leica] Recession/crisis)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Recession/crisis)
Reply from ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Recession/crisis)